Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 16494 Meeting James Ingram


December 17, 1994

Last Wednesday had an interesting episode with a celebrity in the hotel. Laurianne was in the Grill having a drink and reading the newspaper after work. With only one car, she was waiting for me. As I walked in I noticed James Ingram sitting at a table in the corner alone. I had met him a couple days earlier. He was performing with Peobo Bryson, Roberta Flack and Melissa Manchester in “The Colors of Christmas”, at the Ordway. Looking over to him I said hello and introduced him to Lauriane. He said, “Would like to join me for a drink.”. I first said no, thinking it was late but Laurianne said why not.
For the next 45 minutes we drank, ate and talked. He is originally from Akron, Ohio, now lives in LA. Married to the same gal for 20 years, he has 6 children 19-2. I was most impressed with his down to earth attitude. A son of a deacon he was very religious. Many times he spoke of his gift and talent, truly enjoys using them for the pleasure of others.
Mentioning that I had met a person who owned one of the recording studios in LA, I wondered if he knew him. Telling me a few names, I thought I recognized one. He had worked with Disney on the movie sound track for Cinderella, singing one of the songs in it. Asking him which song, I wasn’t sure which one it was so he sang me a little of it. We were thrilled.
He had just been in Toronto with the tour, a representative from Disney met him and presented him with the golden record. Cinderella sound track had been out only a month. He said, “Disney doesn’t miss on much.”
We talked athletics; he received a track scholarship for college but chose to go into music instead. Still working out doing training to do the quarter mile. Still can turn out a 58 sec time.
I had a greyhound, so did he. His chicken club came but it was too much for him. Insisting that we both take part of it, we picked away. He paid the bill. Laurianne was asked by him to figure out the tip. He signed his check James Edwards.
Last Thursday we were given tickets and back stage passes to see the show. After enjoying a wonderful performance we went backstage, got our picture taken with Melissa Manchester. Didn’t have a chance to see James. I sent a card to all of them thanking them for the special time.

No comments:

Post a Comment