Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 17088 The Scent of Sophia Loren

August 2, 1995

Knock, Knock. The sound of my knuckles echoed down the hallway as they hit the side of the door of the Apartment, room 1104-06.

In my hand I held the information about her phone calls the last 2 weeks. Someone had to go over it with her; I was the man to get it done.

The lock clicked open, down went the handle, the door opened. Standing in front of me with a smile was one of the greatest movie stars of all time. Sophie Loren said, “Come in.” Dressed in a comfortable outfit, her long curly hair hung down to her shoulders, even at 63 her beauty radiated.

She sat on the couch, as I got comfortable in the chair next to it just a few feet apart.

“I hope you are enjoying your stay with us at the Saint Paul Hotel.” I said. “It’s been a very nice time so far.” She said.

Explaining the bill did not take to long. We continued with small talk for another 30 minutes. We discussed how the filming of “Grumpier Old Men” was going. Her impression of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were very high, happy to be working with such gifted actors.

Thinking those two old guys probably felt the same way about working with her.

Paul Shaw, the manager of the production of “Showboat” performing at the Ordway, had talked to me about getting her tickets for the play. He said George Grisard, one of the performers, had met her and would like to get together. The singer who does “Old Man River” told him her son had taken singing lessons from him. Mentioning these items, she didn’t recall knowing either gentleman. She said, her two sons never sang, one a director and the other played the piano.

Asking her what she likes to do, she said, “Staying in her room, reading, going over lines, and listening to classical music.” A stack of CD’s sat on the coffee table next to her. During our entire conversation the television was on with the news.

Her hands were manicured and polished. Long fingers with pudgier palms struck me as uniquely distinctive. It wasn’t something you would expect. I was very fortunate; there would be very few men that would ever remember her by her hands. Her beauty was overwhelming; I was humbled in her presence.
She wore made up on this day and everyone after, her eyes highlighted to the utmost, Cat like, even though she wore glasses.

Her English was good but at times she had difficulty getting the right words out.
I left her room with a handshake and a farewell.

We did have a connection after that meeting in her room. When she passed my desk in the lobby to depart for her filming for the day, she would come up to me, say hello and give me a handshake. One of the last things before leaving her room, she would apply perfume. Splashes of it would be on her hands. Upon touching her skin, her favorite fragrance Irisa, would jump off and caress my hand.

Once she walked out the front door to her waiting limousine, I would bring my hand up to my nose, smell her scent. The scent of Sophia!! I didn’t wash my hand all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment